The weekend in summary

Saturday — I got up sorta early, pulled the driver’s seat out of the Cobra, reinstalled the OEM seat belt buckle, and reinstalled the seat. Maybe 15 minutes start-to-finish. Then went to get it inspected — only to discover that my friendly neighborhood place’s inspection machine wasn’t working because C (the shop owner) moved it to a different phone line (so it shared his fax line instead of having its own dedicated line) to save a few $ and the computer in Austin doesn’t recognize the number it’s calling from… even though he’d called Austin on Friday and made sure that wasn’t a problem. He suggested I run down the street to the Goodyear/Gemini store.

Which I did. The dolt there drove the car to do the brake check, etc. and was put off by the rattles from the solid rear upper shock mounts, and said he couldn’t pass it if it has rattles, which is total bull feces, but there you go. Absolutely refused to consider that it’s perfectly normal when you use Heim joints for rear shock mounts instead of rubber bushings that it will make a little bit of noise even though nothing is in danger of falling off the car.

So I took the keys back, drove back to talk to C, and he’s going to make himself available for me tomorrow after work providing he gets his machine communicating with Austin again.

After this, I took the Cobra back to the house, got the truck, and took it for a LONG overdue tire rotation at Discount Tire, where, lo and behold, they’ve now got their computers networked and were able to find me in the database as a customer even though my last purchase from them was in Michigan (before, not even different stores in MI could tell I was a customer from a different store). Free rotation, and I had them balance the Hoosier Wets on ’95 Cobra R wheels that I acquired from M just before I moved. Reason? The BFGs I’m using for street tires are old, hard, and worn almost to the wear bars, and it’s remarkably easy to break them loose on dry pavement. Tomorrow’s forecast is for rain. So I got the Wets balanced so I could put them on the car today.

Then a trip to Lowes (have a gift card from Christmas) to get various household stuff, a stop at the local bike shop to get a new floor pump (K kept the one in MI), and a quick dinner at Willie’s Grill & Icehouse, followed by a stop at the bank, and home.

This morning, sirens about 7:45 or so. I dozed back off, and awoke some time later to the sound of gas-powered saws. Turns out a house on the next street over (to the east — the previously-mentioned Shatnerwood is north of me) burned — a lot  — and with the winds we were having, thankfully not so bad that early in the day, it caught the next house to the north as well. The good news: nobody hurt. Everyone got out okay. Prelim cause is apparently a transformer on a treadmill, of all things. It’s bad. The neighbor to the north now gets to file another insurance claim (they still have temporary roof patches from Ike), adding fire, smoke, and water damage to the tally.

The word from the neighbors is that the local fire department (which is technically a volunteer department) had a lengthy and un-coordinated response, taking about 20 minutes to get there. I didn’t see the response, so I don’t know, but I do know the Cy-Fair VFD seems to be well-equipped, well-funded, and numerous, so I’m hoping this is just an anomaly.

Today, I got a few things put into the attic — I’m going to need help, I think, as getting me and stuff up the folding ladder is, well, hazardous. I also changed the Cobra over to the Wets, and did my weekly grocery run. I’ve been doing laundry this evening.

Terribly exciting, I realize. 🙂



  1. This business of refusing to pass inspection is a pile of stinking offal. I hope your first imspector gets his act in order soon. I owned a house once with a folding ladder to the attic. The load carrying capacity of the ladder was nearly less than I weighed (about 220 at the time). It was a useless ladder, as the builder hadn’t laid down any floor on the ceiling joists in the attic, so I couldn’t store anything up there. We did have a basement, however, which had water on the floor every time it rained (builder’s fault again), so I had no place at all to store bulky items.


    1. Got the sticker this afternoon. C was good, very apologetic about the situation on Saturday (he did call Austin before he did so and was assured there would be no difficulty, so it really wasn’t his fault), and got me in and out quickly. I think I’m buying a multi-mode ladder for the house soon anyway, and I’ll be able to use it to get stuff to the attic.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s